Men's basketball adds Tulane, Arkansas State to 2020-21 nonconference slate

imr9237

Central Michigan head coach Keno Davis coaches the Men's Basketball Team during a timeout against Trinity Christian Nov. 23 at McGuirk Arena.

Central Michigan has added a pair of non-conference road games to its 2020-21 schedule. 

As first reported by The D1 Docket, the Chippewas will travel to Arkansas State and Tulane during the upcoming season.

The game against Arkansas State will be the first of a two-year series between the two schools with the Red Wolves scheduled to play at McGuirk Arena during the 2021-22 season.

Arkansas State finished 16-16 a season ago, going 8-12 in the Sun Belt conference. Coach Mike Balado, who just finished up his third season with the university, holds a 40-56 record with the Red Wolves. According to KenPom.com, the Balado's squad finished 148th in adjusted offensive efficiency and 284th in adjusted defensive efficiency. 

The Green Wave, which is a member of the American Athletic Conference, finished 12-18 in 2019-20. 

Last season was the first under coach Ron Hunter, who came to Tulane after eight seasons at Georgia State. Central Michigan will receive $75,000 for playing in this game, which is scheduled for Dec. 5 according to The D1 Docket’s report.

In addition, a source close to the program confirmed that the Chippewas will host both Valparaiso and Robert Morris in the return games in home-and-home series with the respective teams. The Chippewas lost to both squads in 2019-20 on the road, falling 77-55 to Valparaiso and 83-79 to Robert Morris. 

The Chippewas finished the 2019-20 season with an 14-18 record.