Braden Burke chooses Central Michigan after three years at MSU

0cbc8b55-fcc9-41c8-835f-5c1c18235ef8
The Chippewas prepare to face off against Akron Friday, Feb. 14, 2020, in McGuirk Arena.

Keno Davis has added yet another big man to his frontcourt rotation. 

This one, unlike the previous two reeled in during the late signing period, has something coaches at the mid-major level will pounce on — high level Division I experience.

Braden Burke, a 7-footer from Stevensville-Lakeshore High School, announced his commitment to Central Michigan Friday night via Instagram. Burke entered the transfer portal on April 10 and will be immediately eligible to play for the Chippewas. 

Burke comes to CMU after three seasons at Michigan State and another at Robert Morris, where he began his career.

In his one season at Robert Morris, Burke played in 32 games, starting eight. He averaged 4.3 points and 2.7 rebounds per game in that time, playing 15.2 minutes per game.

The following year, Burke transferred to Michigan State to play for coach Tom Izzo. He spent the ensuing three seasons practicing with NBA-caliber big men Nick Ward and Xavier Tillman while playing sparingly.

He sat out his sophomore season due to NCAA transfer requirements and played just 1.5 minutes per game in 17 games over the last two years. 

Currently, Burke is the tallest player on roster with the Chippewas and only Matt Beachler has as much experience at the Division I level. His addition is a welcome one for a roster that has been stripped of its height and experience with the graduation of seven seniors.

The Chippewas finished 14-18 a season ago.