Sports week in review: Bailey Edwards enters transfer portal, athletes cleared for return to campus

Central Michigan players run onto the field to play New Mexico State Oct. 12 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Outside of the elimination of men's track and field, Central Michigan has been quiet in terms of its athletic program. 

While the coronavirus pandemic continues to have its effect on the college sports landscape, there are a few happenings that affect CMU along with the rest of the country. 

CMU's football team also saw a roster change of its own. 

Here is a recap of recent news affecting the Chippewas

Bailey Edwards enters transfer portal

Once the second-highest rated recruit for the Chippewas in 2016, wide receiver Bailey Edwards has decided to enter the NCAA transfer portal, as first reported by 247Sports

Edwards appeared in 18 games for the Chippewas including 13 games in 2019. 

As a graduate transfer, Edwards will be eligible to play immediately at his next school. 

Student-athletes given guidelines to return to campus

A week after the NCAA lifted its moratorium on all athletic activities, the body released guidelines to bring student-athletes back to campus safely. 

Officially titled "Resocialization of Collegiate Sport: Action Plan Considerations," the guidelines include social distancing, disinfecting commonly used areas and surfaces, staying home when feeling sick, and self-quarantining before returning to campus, along with other recommendations consistent with public health guidelines. 

After the NCAA allowed football, men's basketball and women's basketball athletes to return for voluntary workouts, the decision when the athletes may return was turned to the conferences and ultimately the schools.

The Mid-American Conference has not indicated how the decision will be made. 

State House allows plan for athlete compensation

A plan to allow for third-party compensation for student-athletes passed in the state House on May 27 in lopsided votes. 

The plan, which would also allow agents to sign contracts with student-athletes in Michigan, moves to the Senate. 

“This is all about treating all students fairly — including our student-athletes,” Republican Brandt Iden said in a statement after the vote. “This long overdue reform will ensure they have the ability to go out and promote themselves — using their likeness or image — to make a few extra dollars, just like their classmates are allowed to do. This is a change that should have made years ago nationwide, but Michigan simply cannot wait on the NCAA to get its act together any longer.” 

In late April, the NCAA's Board of Governors moved to allow the rule to allow student-athletes to receive third-party compensation. The rule change is expected to go into effect beginning with the 2021-22 school year.