CMU suffers loss of funds after summer high school band camps canceled

band-field-1
A slight breeze blows across an empty field May 21 at Jack Saunders Marching Band Field.

Every summer, Central Michigan University hosts high school marching band training camps. It's an opportunity to invite high schoolers and teachers and parents to spend time on campus and a source of revenue during the summer months. 

“We enjoy the energy that the camps bring to our campus and the opportunity to share our campus with prospective students who participate in these events,” said Calvin Seelye, Executive Director of Auxiliary Services.

This summer, Anchor Bay, Grandville, Henry Ford and Utica high school were scheduled to have week-long training camps on campus.

All of the band camps were canceled in accordance with Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's executive order banning large gatherings. 

The loss of revenue to the university from the cancellation of band camps this summer is an estimated $155,000.

CMU’s Emergency Management Committee recommended to President Bob Davies that no events be held on campus before Aug. 6. CMU was not able to provide alternate dates for the high school's band camps.

“Though we are disappointed that CMU is unable to host any camps this summer, we believe it is the right choice,” Seelye said.

All four high school marching band directors have indicated an interest to return in the summer of 2021.