CMU alumna focuses on today, reveres yesterday

CMU alumna Gail Torreano says learning how to accept help from others has contributed to the success she enjoys today.
Torreano, who graduated from CMU in 1972, was named president of Ameritech Michigan July 1.
"No matter how old you are, learning to accept help is critical. When you're in an environment and community where people are reaching out, you learn to take their hand," she said, recalling her time at CMU.
Torreano was an undergraduate at Central from 1968-1972. She earned a bachelor's degree in speech pathology in 1972 and returned to CMU two years later to earn a master's in counseling.
"CMU was then, as I believe it is now for people, a university that can provide a very solid education," she said. "The advantage CMU had then, that I still see going on today, is a faculty and staff that really care for people."
Torreano mentioned Director of Student Media and Student Publications Jim Wojcik; Sue Knight, associate professor of foreign languages, literatures and cultures; Mary Lu Fleming, associate director of transfers and admissions and Del Ringquist, dean of the College of Extended Learning, as figures who continue to have a positive impact on others.
"Those are all people here today who are the same people when I was here. They really care for the students and provide a good environment for students who make their lives at CMU for four years," Torreano said. "They are all people who are committed and that's what makes CMU special.
"I think it's critical that there are people who are willing to be mentors and advocate."
She said her education at CMU taught her to work hard and persevere.
"I learned to be creative. I had people reach out to me and I learned to accept help."
Originally from Rochester, MI, Torreano lives in Mount Pleasant with her husband George and their two sons: Matt, 17, a senior at Mount Pleasant High School, and Joe, 15, a freshman at Mount Pleasant H.S.
Torreano works in Lansing, but she recalled her working days in Mount Pleasant while attending CMU. She said she worked at different jobs, including one at a ski shop and one at the old Burger Chef, located where Arby's Restaurant, 1224 S. Mission St., now stands.
At CMU, Torreano was active in the Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority and said she enjoyed the events of Greek Week and Chippewa sporting events. She said she and her family attend all of CMU's football and basketball home games today and that she is a huge Detroit Red Wing fan as well.
"I moved to Mount Pleasant 18 years ago when I worked for State Sen. John Engler," she said. "I have been commuting back and forth from Lansing for the past 18 years."
Torreano said she worked as Engler's chief of staff, doing various political work for nine years. Engler was elected Michigan's governor in 1991 and Torreano said they remain friends who keep in touch.
She has worked at Ameritech for nine years. Before being named president, Torreano served as the vice-president of governmental affairs. Ameritech services about 80 percent of Michigan, with prime coverage in the southeast part of the state.
"I am the face of Ameritech in Michigan," Torreano said.
She said her duties include governmental affairs, regulations, external affairs and public relations.
"One of Ameritech's goals is to put together an application with the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) to offer both long distance and local service here in Michigan. We cannot without meeting some FCC processes. We've been working very hard on this and are very focused on it."
She said the Telecommunications Act, a federal statute from 1996, laid out how regional companies like Ameritech can get into the long distance business.
The Act contains a 14-point checklist that all RBOCs, or regional Bell operating companies, must meet in order to get approval by FCC for long distance business. Networks must be open to competition in order to successfully pass the FCC "test." Torreano said only two states, New York and Texas, have met the FCC rules.
The regional companies formed after AT&T broke up in 1985, Torreano said, to offer more competition to benefit customers. Ameritech's new parent company in Texas, SBC, now operates in 13 states to create more competition.
MCI and Sprint are in long distance competition, and now the focus is creating competition in the local market, Torreano said.
"It's a process, not an event. There's more competition in the business market, not the local market, because it's more profitable. It's hard to attract local business to offer services to you or me because there's just not as much money to be made.
"Customers want one-stop shopping with local and long-distance service, and we want to be able to do that for our customers. By law, we can only offer long distance service. MCI and Sprint can offer both."
In New York and Texas, where regional companies can offer both local and long distance services, competition has flourished, she said.
Torreano said her future plans at Ameritech are centered on learning her new job.
"I'm focused on today and not tomorrow. I don't want to get ahead of myself. I have many challenges ahead of me and that is my focus."
The new president of Ameritech Michigan also said she will continue to cherish the people at CMU who, like those from her past, help make her life in Mount Pleasant enjoyable.
"I'm lucky. I have the best of both worlds because I still get to experience CMU. It's a very big and important part of the Mount Pleasant community"