College Democrats looking to become more social after big election year

Just because it is not a major election year does not mean the politics stopped.

The College Democrats had a very busy and, by their terms, a successful year last year, as President and Democrat Barack Obama was sworn in.

However, this year will have a much different feel than last year.

President of College Democrats and Clinton Township junior Bradley O’Donnell said the student organization is going to be more social instead of being politically active like it was last year.

“This year, we will be transitioning from activism to socialism, and we will be focusing more on discussing issues and doing community building,” O’Donnell said.

The College Democrats’ goal is to get students involved and interested in current events and politics, although it is not an election year.

“The focus of College Democrats is to keep students actively involved in politics and make politics more appealing to younger people,” said Clinton Township sophomore and Membership Director Michelle Shamaly.

O’Donnell said one of his main goals for this year is to get Lt. Governor John Cherry to come speak on campus.

Shamaly said groups such as the College Democrats are important because they help students stay involved in politics prior to entering the real world, where politics play a huge role.

The organization will attend MAINstage and plans to hold several social pizza parties, known as “Pizza and Politics,” Shamaly said. The College Democrats also plan on using a Facebook page to keep students updated.

O’Donnell thinks the College Democrats appeals to students because it is completely free and is on a volunteer basis only.

The group plans to meet at 8 p.m. every other Thursday in the Bovee University Center.