Freshman seminars deal with diversity, law enforcement and sexual harassment

nozebras

Orientation for freshmen did not end in June.

New Central Michigan University students attended three mandatory seminars last weekend on issues such as cultural diversity, sexual aggression, and crimes and consequences.

“Through the Eyes of Jo,” a skit performed in Bush Theatre, focused on diversity and acceptance among students.

Southfield senior and Student Director of “Through the Eyes of Jo” Bridgette Wynn said the seminar is needed every year.

“I think this seminar benefits student by reiterating CMU’s dedication to diversity and speaking up about issues that are, often times, swept under the rug,” Wynn said.

Among the issues discussed were the use of prejudicial words, offensive stereotypes and teen suicide. Each skit had a different situation in which at least one individual was being offensive and another individual confronted and corrected the error.

“The hope is that when students encounter situations like this that they remember the skits and reflect back on how to react,” said Director of Gay and Lesbian Programs Shannon Jolliff.

Respect authority

“College Life and the Law” was performed in the Music Building by the CMU Police on safety precautions and the consequences of activities such as underage drinking, nuisance parties and possession of marijuana.

Each skit showed students in situations that happen on a regular basis on- and off-campus, and the ramifications of their actions.

“I thought they did a great job showing the scenes and we got to see the results of their actions,” said Rochester Hills freshman Kelsey Rich.

After the skits were performed, the five different police forces of Isabella County answered questions from students about laws and any other concerns they might have.

“I think the skits showed the precautions to take and the consequences for your actions, but also what to watch out for as a student,” said Harbor Beach freshman Christijana Bender.

No Zebras

“No Zebras, No Excuses,” a seminar held in Warriner Hall, addressed sexual aggression. Actors portrayed real college situations such as party scenes, in which wrongful sexual behavior may become an issue.

Each scene used very graphic and blunt language and derogatory remarks that made each scenario seem realistic.

“That seminar made me want to cry. It’s sad to think that sort of thing happens all the time,” Bender said.