Many heading to East Lansing for football game

Most students finally get to encounter a showdown between CMU and Michigan State this weekend.

Since MSU is a one-hour drive from CMU, many will make their way to East Lansing on Saturday morning to enjoy the game.

Rochester Hills junior Jeff Neiter plans to go to MSU for the first time and meet with old friends from high school.

“I have never been to State, and I hear that the tailgates there get pretty crazy,” said Neiter.

Others plan to meet up with their Michigan State-oriented family and friends.

Caitlin Niewiadomski, a Grant junior, plans to leave Mount Pleasant around 9 a.m., head to tailgate with her sister and parents and attend the football game before returning to CMU.

“I have been looking forward to this game because this is a big rivalry between my school and my sister’s school, and my parents are even coming to tailgate with us,” Niewiadomski said.

Hopkins senior Nick Prawdzik also is making his way to Michigan State to celebrate with his best friend, Dan, who attends school at MSU.

Prawdzik said he is most looking forward to CMU beating the Spartans so he can rub it in their fans’ faces.

Although MSU is favored by 14.5 points, not everyone thinks it will be an easy game.

“Central was a very good team last year, and they will most definitely be giving State a run for their money this weekend. It won’t be just a piece of cake game,” Niewiadomski said.

In 2012, CMU and MSU will have a rematch at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Niewiadomski said she is excited because she is certain she will still be working on her bachelor’s degree when that game takes place.

Although Prawdzik said he will be a CMU alumnus at that point, he plans to attend that game.

“I’m really excited that a big school will come here for a change. That tailgate will be epic; especially if the tailgate rules go back to normal,” Neiter said.