Bronco offense main concern for football team

CMU football coach Butch Jones is aware of how dangerous Western Michigan’s offense can be heading into the rivalry game at 3:30 p.m. Saturday in Kalamazoo.

Although the Broncos have an inferior record (3-3, 2-1 MAC), Jones said WMU has a lot of talent, including senior quarterback Tim Hiller.

“It’s typical Western Michigan football, where there’s a lot of talent,” he said. “Their offense will be one of the best we’ve seen so far this season. Hiller’s a great player and fundamentally sound, and he throws in rhythm and throws the ball quickly.”

This season, Hiller has thrown for 1,503 yards, 11 touchdowns and six interceptions, while completing 63.1 percent of his passes.

“The thing is that I don’t think you can limit him,” Jones said. “But what you have to do is play sound defense and not give up the big plays. You’ve got to make them drive the ball on you and make them earn everything they get.”

Hiller is joined in the backfield by one of the more explosive players in the MAC in running back Brandon West.

West is second in the conference in all-purpose yards, averaging 184.2 combined rushing, return and receiving yards per game — behind only CMU’s junior wide receiver Antonio Brown.

“The big thing that we’re going to have to do is tackle, get off blocks and to play in space,” Jones said. “Their backs have good speed and explosion and compliment each other well and have been extremely productive for them.”

Offensively, the Broncos are averaging 374.3 yards per game, third in the MAC. But on the other side, WMU is 10th in the MAC, giving up 400 yards per game.

Getting a pass rush

With Hiller’s pocket presence, field vision and ability to get the ball out fast, the importance of a pass rush will be emphasized this week, said senior defensive end Frank Zombo.

“We definitely can’t let him set his feet,” he said. “He can even take a big hit and make a great throw. So we’re definitely going to have to have a lot of pressure off the edges, and our inside guys are going to have to collapse that pocket.”

One advantage the Chippewas have is Hiller’s limited mobility. Zombo said it is a relief in one way to finally avoid playing a dual-threat quarterback.

“But at the same time, he’ll scramble to throw the ball,” he said. “We definitely just have to keep in our lanes and have a mentality to get to the quarterback.”

Miller Out

Junior center Colin Miller will be out this week after leaving last Saturday’s win against Eastern Michigan with a lower-body injury. Redshirt freshman Darren Keyton will start in his place.

Jones said Miller will be evaluated on a week-by-week basis.