CMU to try solar energy to heat SAC pool

Central Michigan University is preparing to give solar power a trial run on campus.

Steve Lawrence, associate vice president of Facilities Management, said CMU purchased 50 solar panels earlier this year with plans to install them near the Student Activity Center. The panels, purchased Oct. 5, are expected to arrive next week.

“Our initial thought was to install the panels at the SAC to help heat the pool,” Lawrence said.

Lawrence said the panels were purchased on clearance from Solar Panels Plus Limited Liability Corporation. The university paid $684 for each individual unit, plus another $7,550 for shipping, bringing the total cost to $41,750.

“The supplier contacted us and said they were having a clearance,” Lawrence said. “We decided to buy them because their price was so low.”

'Lower cost'

Lawrence said because of Michigan’s weather, CMU has not really looked into purchasing solar panels in the past.

“Solar power doesn’t always work that well in Michigan,” he said.

Demond Pryor, associate director of Facility Operations, said using the solar panels would aid in keeping the pool heated at a lower cost.

“From a cost and energy use standpoint, it’s an outstanding opportunity to save in many different ways. It will definitely help reduce the cost and energy use,” Pryor said.

Pryor said he could not estimate how much money CMU would save on the panel.

Lawrence said the pool was the most practical place to use the solar panels, because the pool requires a constant source of heat in order to keep it at a warm temperature.

“We decided they needed to be put in a place where there needs to be constant heat,” Lawrence said.

Thomas Rohrer, assistant professor of environmental studies, said purchasing the panels is a good idea. They would greatly decrease the amount of energy being used and help CMU try out new options for energy, he said.

“I think it’s a great idea to try out some of these alternative technologies to lower our energy cost and improve our sustainability on campus,” Rohrer said.

Using more solar power panels in the future is uncertain, Lawrence said, because there are so many factors involved in the decision.