Field hockey loses 5-0 at Ohio

The CMU field hockey team’s defensive play has been its strength this season.

That was not the case Sunday.

The Chippewas, who have the top-ranked defense in the Mid-American Conference, lost 5-0 at Ohio University.

“Obviously, I am very disappointed,” said coach Cristy Freese. “We went into this weekend being a very good defensive team, and we came out of it definitely dropping in the MAC in terms of defense.”

Ohio scored at the 28-minute mark when Marcy Dull capitalized on a penalty corner, giving the Bobcats a 1-0 lead. OU’s Brooke Edwards scored two minutes later.

After keeping the score stagnant in the first fifteen minutes of the second half, Dull scored twice in ten minutes, completing her hat trick and giving Ohio a 4-0 lead. Laine Greenawalt finished the scoring for the Bobcats.

“They scored a couple of penalty corners, and they also got a breakaway on us and a nice pass,” Freese said. “It wasn’t anything that our defense hasn’t seen before, but we just didn’t do a good job.”

Along with a 5-2 loss Saturday at Kent State, the Chippewas uncharacteristically allowed ten goals in two games, the most in a weekend’s span by the team.

“I think that we didn’t play very well this weekend, but I don’t think we are in a position to give up for the year,” Freese said. “We have got to get back to that. We have Michigan this week and we have two MAC games this weekend.”

Saturday

The team started the weekend with a 5-2 loss Saturday at Kent State.

Senior Kelly Jordan opened the game’s scoring.

The Golden Flashes, with the help of two goals apiece from Rachel Miller and the Mid-American Conference’s scoring leader, Debbie Bell, scored four consecutive goals to end the half ahead 4-1.

After the break, KSU added another goal, which gave Bell a hat trick for the game. Kim Erasmus added a late goal, her first of the year.

“I don’t think that we were as aggressive as we needed to be this weekend, and we needed to move better together as a unit instead of one at a time,” Freese said.