Fright Night brings fun, games to Rose Arena to kick off basketball season

A night of ghouls and dribbles comes to Central Michigan University as it kicks off the basketball season.

The third annual Fright Night Halloween Bash takes place at 7:15 p.m. today in Rose Arena.

“Fright Night is CMU’s version of what other schools call ‘Midnight Madness,’” said Mike Dabbs, director of Marketing and Community Relations for the Athletics Department.

Fright Night allows students and the Mount Pleasant residents to meet the basketball team and participate in games and giveaways. There also will be a costume contest for children.

“It’s a chance for students and community (to) interact with the team and have fun,” said Mike Boseak, assistant director of Sports Information. “There will be free food, contests, giveaways and haunted hallways. It’s a family event.”

If you go... • What: Fright Night Halloween Bash • When: 7:15 p.m. today • Where: Rose Arena

The CMU Bookstore is one of the vendors for the event, and the athletics department will give away Adidas T-shirts.

Before Fright Night events begin, students will have the opportunity to learn basketball cheers and traditions before the season begins.

“We’re doing training for our student section, Rose Rowdie, which is to help teach students the cheers and chants for the games,” Dabbs said.

Women’s basketball senior forward Kaihla Szunko said she thinks students should come not only to have fun, but to meet the players and show support.

“Students should come because it lets them get to know the players personally and help show support for CMU,” Szunko said.

Szunko said she is excited to play and ready for the new season to start Nov. 13 at DePaul.

“I’m more excited for this season than anything,” Szunko said. “Our team is very deep. We play well together and I think we’re going to go far.”

The men’s basketball team’s season begins Nov. 14 at home against Princeton.