Homecoming 2009 rocks out

homecoming_secondary
Paige Calamari/Staff Photographer On the Fly Productions performs during the Rock Rally Friday night in Plachta Auditorium. On the Fly Productions integrated a Transformers theme into their dance to tie with two other teams for third place in the mock rock competition.

Alumna Alejandra Mata said Homecoming is the weekend where relaxing takes precedence.

“It’s a celebration of all the hardwork and commitment that all the students, faculty and the university as a whole, and the community and the businesses put forth throughout the year,” she said. “And Homecoming is when you get to celebrate and relax and all that hard work becomes fun.”

Alumni from all over, as well as students, celebrated in the homecoming fashion this past week.

Jenison freshman Rachel Radecki said it does not matter whether you are an alum or a student — everyone has shared the same experence.

“It’s just school spirit. Everyone getting together and celebrating CMU, I feel like it’s a huge bonding experience and everybody celebrates together. It’s so much fun.”

Rock Rally

Charlie Brown may have always lost playing football. But he won the 2009 Rock Rally.

The team made up of Saxe, Herrig and Celani halls placed first in the mock rock with a performance inspired by the 1950s cartoon.

The group rehearsed every day for about a week, and SHC Hall Council President Craig Johnson was quite happy the team won.

“It just proves hard work pays off,” the Lake City sophomore said. “People weren’t expecting us to win and we weren’t favorites going in — coming out victorious was good for us.”

Thorpe Hall took second place in the rally and, for the first time in the mock rock’s history, there was a three-way tie for third place between Barnes Hall, Larzelere Hall and On the Fly Productions.

Homecoming Co-Chairwoman and St. Clair Shores senior Danielle Leone said she was impressed with everyone’s performance.

“Rock Rally performances were outstanding, watching them was amazing,” Leone said. “All I could think was how long it took them to prepare and think of their performances.”

Other announcements

Rock Rally was more than just performances.

Rochester senior Jessica Parker and Macomb senior Scott Hillman were named the 2009 Gold Ambassadors.

“It feels surreal — it was an honor to even be nominated,” Hillman said. “I never saw it coming.”

Big winners Maroon Cup - Larzelere Hall Golden Goblet - Student Recreation Association
Many CMU alumni returned to celebrate homecoming weekend as well.

CMU alumna and 2007 Gold Ambassador Jacklyn Welsheimer said she missed CMU and is happy to be back.

“I feel like I’m at home,” Welsheimer said. “There’s something about being here and hearing the fight song that is irreplaceable.”

In between mock rock acts, attendees were entertained by dance and a cappella singing groups.

Fish N Chips, CMU’s male a cappella group, performed “Carry On Wayward Son” by Kansas.

“We have done this for the past two years,” said Howell senior Kevin Troshak. “When we chose that song, we figured it was a song everyone knows, likes and can sing along with.”

Muskegon senior and Rock Rally coordinator Jenny Zuzelski said, overall, everything went well.

“I think it ran very smoothly and everyone who was in charge of their department ran it without flaw,” Zuzelski said.

-Senior Reporter Jake May contributed to this report.