LeFevour named O'Brien semifinalist

Senior quarterback Dan LeFevour was named a semifinalist Monday for the Davey O’Brien Award, given to the nation’s top quarterback this season.

“I think sometimes, statistics are overrated. It’s what you do for your football team, your football program and your win-loss record,” said coach Butch Jones. “You look at what (LeFevour’s) been able to accomplish in his four years here, and I think it speaks for itself.”

LeFevour joins 14 other quarterbacks around the nation who also were named Monday — notables include USC freshman Matt Berkley, Penn State senior Daryll Clark, Notre Dame junior Jimmy Clausen, Florida senior Tim Tebow and Texas senior Colt McCoy.

“It’s nice to be recognized,” LeFevour said. “Obviously, that speaks to the team success we’ve had so far this year (and) the kind of things we’ve been able to do the past few years.”

Three finalists will be chosen Nov. 23 after a fan vote, and the award will be given out at the Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards Show on Dec. 10.

Voting takes place at voteobrien.org. It will run through 1 p.m. Nov. 21, the day before the three finalists will be announced.

LeFevour, through eight games this season, has thrown for 1,696 yards and has completed 70 percent of his passes (156-of-223) with 16 touchdowns and four interceptions to lead the Mid-American Conference in passer efficiency (153.9). He also has rushed for 522 yards on 112 attempts with nine touchdowns, leading Central Michigan to seven consecutive wins — 7-1 overall and 5-0 in the MAC.

Over his four seasons as the Chippewas’ starter, LeFevour has gained 13,920 yards, which puts him fifth all-time on the Football Bowl Subdivision career list. He has thrown for 90 touchdowns, rushed for 41 and caught a touchdown pass in his career.

Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford won the award — which has been handed out since 1981 — last season, and past winners include Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning, Vince Young and Tebow.

“I’m just very, very excited for him,” Jones said. “(I’m) very proud for him and his family, and (proud) to see all his hard work and all of his dedication and his efforts coming into play right now.”