Moore Hall Television gets full control of programming

Time is of the essence for the student-run Moore Hall Television.

MHTV now controls all 24 hours of its programming after previously sharing time with Public Relations and Public Broadcasting Service.

“What happened was, economically, there just weren’t enough resources for those other entities to keep providing content for the channel,” said MHTV faculty adviser Ben Tigner. ”It made more sense to just give the channel to the MHTV students and let them run with it.”

MHTV is channel 34 on campus and channel 23 off campus.

Tigner, Broadcast and Cinematic Arts faculty, said the only thing that changed for MHTV is it has the ability to rerun its programs whenever it wants throughout the day. The station gained control of programming from 3 a.m. to 5 p.m. instead of four-hour slots at 5 p.m. and midnight.

“This year, we started a new program that we were unable to do before, where we simulcast the 91.5 FM morning radio show on MHTV. We put a camera in there and take the video feed along with the audio feed and air that in the mornings where, before, we would have had to compete with PBS feeds. It’s opened up some new opportunities for us.”

Coordinator of Video Laboratories for the School of Broadcast and Cinematic Arts Eric Limarenko developed the new program “Morning Shows,” which airs from 6 to 9 a.m. Monday through Friday. The show debuted Oct. 10 during the 91.5 FM Homecoming alumni takeover.

“Viewers get to be a fly on the wall and see the all the action take place real-time,” Limarenko said. “It also gives outsiders a chance to see how well developed the BCA program is at CMU and how talented our students are.”

“Morning Shows” consists of three shows airing on different days throughout the week, including “The Morning Blitz” Mondays and Wednesdays, “Up in Da Mornin’” Tuesdays and Thursdays and “Cody and Cody in the Morning” on Friday.

Limarenko said this is an exciting time for students, as they have a blank slate creatively to work with and a TV medium in the palm of their hands.

“With more air time, the remarkable, award-winning talent that is coming out of MHTV can reach a greater audience which, hopefully, will get more students excited and involved,” he said. “Being able to take ownership of the station is a thrilling opportunity, as well as a tremendous responsibility.”