More than $845 raised at Mr. PhiSignificant Pageant

Fraternity members found out what it is like to be a lady as they shimmied and glided across the stage.

Greeks came out Monday for Phi Sigma Sigma sorority’s eighth annual Mr. PhiSignificant Pageant.

The Broadway Theatre, 216 E. Broadway St., was full of laughs as 13 men took to the stage to display their talents and answer questions.

When contestant Josh Lee was asked how he would spend his day as a woman, he said there are three things he wants to know.

“I would watch The Notebook to see if I really cry, I would wear heels for an hour to see if they really hurt and I would put to rest that myth that women don’t think about sex as much as guys do,” the Troy sophomore said.

Phi Sigma Sigma sponsored the pageant to raise money for the Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation.

Audience members were allowed to vote by donating money to their favorite contestant and, at the end of the night, more than $845 was raised with a portion of the proceeds going to the National Kidney Foundation.

Not your typical event

Holt junior Devin Jones was crowned Mr. PhiSignificant two years ago. He said he decided to participate again this year because it was something fun to do.

“It’s a cool event that they put on — it’s not like your typical philanthropy dinner,” Jones said. “It’s something you can have fun with and it was to support a good cause.”

While the night was full of Miley Cyrus impersonations and interesting dance numbers, things took a sentimental approach when Holt sophomore Ryan Collins performed.

“I’m dedicating this song to my grandmother, who passed away after losing her battle to cancer,” Collins said. “This was the last song she heard me sing.”

While the votes were being tallied, attendees were entertained by female a cappella group On the Rox, who sang 1980 pop songs, which included The Go-Gos’ “Our Lips are Sealed.”

Bad Axe junior Kyle Post was crowned 2009 Mr. PhiSignificant, but said winning was not important to him.

“It was totally unexpected. I participated because I know a lot of the girls in Phi Sig and I really love their philanthropy,” Post said. “Winning was just an extra bonus.”

Kara Pifer, the coordinator of Mr. PhiSignificant, had been planning the event for several months and was pleased with the turnout.

“It was a nice turnout, and I was really happy there was a lot of variety,” the Blanchard sophomore said. “Usually, almost every guy would get on stage and sing, but we didn’t have much of that this year.”