Office of Student Life fails to provide bussing for CMU/WMU game

Central Michigan University football is playing its biggest Mid-American Conference game of the season Saturday against rival Western Michigan.

But the Office of Student Life said Tuesday it will not provide busing to Kalamazoo and back like it did two years ago.

We think it should reconsider — for many reasons.

CMU (5-1) has been off to a fast start this year, which includes an upset at Michigan State and a throttling of Eastern Michigan last Saturday for Homecoming. It has six AP Top 25 votes in the latest poll and, if it continues to win, Central should crack the Top 25 before the end of the season.

Despite a 3-3 record, Western is a tough team this year. CMU is 3-0 in the MAC, while Western is 2-1. The winner of this game could have control of its destiny in the MAC West division.

The football team could use the support of as many CMU fans it can get. Regardless of the implications, Central/Western has always been a tough game to win, especially when it is at Waldo Stadium (one CMU win in the last 16 years). This year will be no exception.

This is senior quarterback Dan LeFevour’s last game against Western. It will not only be one of the defining games of the season, but of one of the most important in LeFevour’s career. CMU fans should have every opportunity to watch him in Kalamazoo.

Other than possibly budget restraints, CMU has no justifiable reason for the lack of transportation to the game. Kalamazoo is more than two hours away and, with rising tuition rates and the tough economy, many students cannot afford to drive to the game.

Providing buses would have been a great solution for those who wish to support their team. Most students would gladly pay for a bus ticket to save on gas and wear and tear on their own vehicles.

Furthermore, midterms are around the corner and registration for next semester’s classes is coming soon. The trip to Kalamazoo would be a great stress reliever for students.

Too bad many of them won’t be able to make it.

Director of Student Life Tony Voisin said the university provided busing two years ago because the game was on a Tuesday, and offices were concerned about students returning to CMU late on a weeknight.

That was certainly a valid concern then but, now, busing should be available for the sake of convenience.

This is a big year for CMU football, and its big rivalry game is on the road.

Give more students a chance to support their team against a formidable Broncos team.