Planning what courses to take in advanced would help students figure out what classes they need to take

Many students are scrambling to find classes to sign up for with spring 2010 registration under way.

Sometimes, it is because of not knowing what to major and minor in. But most of the time, it stems from not knowing which classes they should take next to stay on track and graduate in a reasonable time frame.

Central Michigan University could better help students map out their college careers so the can graduate in four years, or as soon as possible.

Different degrees require students to take different classes. Every degree requires a certain amount of university program classes and general education classes. Students also need at least 40 hours in 300-level classes. There are so many variables involved with requirements to graduating, it’s easy for students to be unaware of which classes they need to take next.

The consequences of not knowing which classes to take can be dire. Students sometimes find themselves taking classes that don’t count toward their major or degree requirements. Four years suddenly becomes five, eventually leading to six. The strain to not spend to much time stuck in college becomes greater, while students to spend more money than they need to. The price for a degree ends up being far more costly than it has to be.

Counselors usually help students pick which classes they need to take in order to graduate, and academic advising is always available by appointment. But most meetings with counselors are not in depth enough to map out a full college career. When auditing for graduation, several seniors are surprised when they’re told they need to take a few more general education classes.

FYE 101: First Year Experience — a class that helps freshmen adjust to college life — guides students on what they may want to major in and what classes to take to fulfill general education requirements. Most students end up saying that planning ahead was the most beneficial part of the class. The Honors

Program has a similar system, requiring students to map out their college career semester by semester for four years. Picking out classes ahead of time is beneficial, even if students don’t know what they want to major in or what kind of degree they are pursuing.

Having some general idea of what to expect a semester ahead allows for better planning, especially when classes that a student needs to take fill up.

The university should provide a means for all students to plan out their classes, similar to the ones in FYE and the Honors Program. Advisers need to slow down during orientation and make sure students are aware of what’s expected of them in order to graduate. One-on-one meetings between counselors should be more in depth, exploring all possible classes a student can take and still graduate on time.

Students change dramatically throughout college and their plans for college change as well. It doesn’t mean that they have to go through college aimlessly.

The university can help by offering more direction if they expect students to graduate in as few years as possible.