'Soup'erbowl football in store for Saturday at IM fields

Only the best athletes compete in the Super Bowl.

However, the “Soup”erBOWL enables all students to fulfill their childhood football fantasies.

The single-elimination coed flag football tournament titled “Soup”erBOWL ’09 will begin at 11 a.m. Saturday on the CMU intramural fields.

All monetary proceeds will go toward the Isabella Community Soup Kitchen and all non-perishable goods donated to the American Red Cross Isabella Food Pantry.

Event coordinator Ashley Kassuba created the tournament for a project in her recreation programming class.

“I tossed around a few ideas of what would tie in really well in October,” the Greenville junior said. “Considering that Central has an away game on Saturday, we were thinking of keeping up with the football spirit here at school. Plus, with the intramural football playoffs wrapping up, we figured people already had their teams formed.”

Along with the football games, there will be a raffle with prizes ranging from an autographed Detroit Lions backpack to gift cards. The winning team will receive T-shirts from the event and day passes to Morey Courts Recreation Center.

“We really want to have a fun event and for everyone to come out and get free food,” Kassuba said. “We are trying to raise awareness of the hunger needs in Isabella County because I went to the food pantry and they are super low. We want to feed the people here, that is the main goal.”

Teams of five will compete in games consisting of two 10-minute halves. Teams must have at least two girls, with one girl playing at all times, and two alternatives are allowed per team.

Entry fee is $30 per team and if the team donates at least five non-perishable goods on the day of the event they will receive a $5 refund on their registration fee.

“It seems like a good cause for the soup kitchen and I enjoy playing football so it’s a good opportunity to do everything,” Spring Lake junior and Blue Barracuda’s team captain Troy Rosencrants said.

He said he formed his team from his coed intramural team and they will continue with their current strategy.

“We have played together all season, so we have chemistry,” he said. “We will probably do the same things that we have been doing in our coed games.”

Registration forms can be picked up in Finch Fieldhouse Room 109 or by contacting Ashley Kassuba at kassu1am@cmich.edu. Teams can also register on Saturday before the event.