Students forms business on creating beer pong tables

beerpongguy-nb-07

Beer pong tables can be difficult to make.

Builders have to choose the colors, designs, length and buying the materials to actually build one.

Neil Hardcastle decided to get involved in this niche market. Hardcastle’s business, Beer Pong Classics, creates custom beer pong tables.

“I’ve made about 15 tables so far,” the Brooklyn junior said. “I made my own table and people really liked it, so I started making them for friends.”

His business is completely self-ran and sells tables that are bare wood, custom painted or with added lights and accessories. He said he started building about a year-and-a-half ago.

“It’s an interesting experience to have someone say they want me to build a table because it’s used a lot,” he said. “It’s not like a desk or dresser and is the focus of a party.”

Hardcastle said he has gotten faster with the process of building a table as he is built more and more.

“I can usually build about two tables an hour,” Hardcastle said. “I’ve built a lot of tables so I’ve gotten it down and can make them quickly.”

He said it does take more to add paint and other accessories.

Hardcastle said he does look forward to building tables.

“It’s a rush, I love building things,” he said. “When I was a kid I liked to play with Legos, to sit and see progress made is a thrill.”

He said the time spent is the best part.

“It’s satisfying to see the table make progress and turn out better than I can imagine, I feel like I’ve accomplished something,” Hardcastle said.

Customer Perspective

Jackson Community College sophomore Nate Russler received a custom beer pong table from Hardcastle as a high school graduation gift.

“He’s a very artistic kid and he’s very talented with wood,” Russler said. “I saw a table that he made that I really liked so I asked him to make one for me.”

Hardcastle said it was the second table he ever made.

Russler’s table features a neon-lit letter “M,” standing for the University of Michigan, in the middle of the table with trim outlining it. There also are places on each end of the table for people to sign their names.

Hardcastle said what sets his tables apart from others is a 1-inch lip around the edge that prevents spills from ruining the carpet.

“They are sturdy tables,” Hardcastle said.