United Way drive nears $99,000 goal

Central Michigan University is approaching its $99,000 fundraising goal for the United Way of Isabella County.

CMU has raised about $80,000 so far, and Stan Shingles, director of University Recreation services and CMU United Way chairman, said organizers content with the amount raised.

“With the way the economy is, we’re pleased with where we are,” Shingles said. “We are still having small fundraisers, and we’re receiving outside contributions and donations.”

To help raise funds, CMU held a raffle for a Schwinn Laguna 50 motorized scooter in September.

Grosse Ile senior Robert Hunter was the winner of the scooter and said he would not have been upset about losing because the money was going to charity.

“I thought it was great to win the bike through United Way,” Hunter said. “All of the money for the raffle was going toward a good cause, so I knew that even if I didn’t win, my money still would’ve gone a long way.”

Little events

While United Way raised nearly $1,000 from the scooter raffle, there will not be anymore large fundraising events, said Nicole Bliss, executive director of the United Way in Isabella County.

“There won’t be any more activities like the bike raffle on campus this year, but students can fill out pledge cards or do special fundraisers to donate,” Bliss said.

Money raised for United Way help fund its partner agencies, which include Central Michigan Pregnancy Services, The Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity for Isabella County.

Cadillac sophomore Libby Dorrell said she thinks it is a good idea for United Way to sponsor fundraisers on a university campus.

“Even though most college kids don’t have money, they are usually eager to donate to a good cause,” Dorrell said.

Shingles said the amount of support United Way is receiving shows what type of people are in the community.

“The general support and understanding of what the needs are and for people to select United Way to provide funds for speaks largely of our community and the people in it,” Shingles said.

-Staff Reporter Victoria Jones contributed to this report.