When officials and authorities admit mistakes, students are more understanding

The Central Alert system disturbed a lot of people last week when it sent four messages, some garbled, between 10:45 and 11:15 p.m. Oct. 16 concerning the Music Building evacuation.

Central Michigan University Police Chief Bill Yeagley took responsibility Thursday, admitting the message was a human error and not a technical error.

For that, we applaud him. And more people around the university should follow Yeagley’s example in taking responsibility when it is due.

The Central Alert System sent out a message Oct. 16 because of reports of a gas smell. Although the smell was identified at 5 p.m., the first warning went out nearly five hours later. Those who answered the call were rudely awaken to an incoherent message that communicated little and left listeners confused. It shook the confidence in the Central Alert System.

To assure that this problem does not persist again in the future, the CMU Police Department will conduct daily training practices with operators of the system. The alert system will only be transmitted to the administration and not broadcast over campus. Operators of the system also are working to make sure the alert only goes to those who need to hear it instead of everyone in town.

Yeagley said he wants people to trust the system, and to be confident that it will work. By coming forward and admitting there was human error during the last transmission, Yeagley is one step closer in rebuilding confidence in the system.

Administrators at the university should take note of the apology and act more like Yeagley.

The process in drawing out the new tailgating procedures is a great example. The obviously shortsighted planning of the procedures drove away attendance at tailgate and drawing protest from students. Yet no one came forward to apologize and admit the committee could have worked better with students.

Instead, blame was shifted on the media and even the students. That was before the committee agreed to work with a student ad-hoc committee and lift the ban on external sound systems.

If CMU officials are more inclined to admit their mistakes, students can take them more seriously. Students are more inclined to forgive when actions are taken to remedy certain situations, such as the actions Yeagley is taking with the alert system.

The Central Alert System will no doubt get better as CMU Police trains to use the system properly. And we all know nobody is perfect. Hopefully the rest of CMU realizes that.