CMU budget advisory Web site has no planned end date

More than 100 suggestions were submitted on what the Central Michigan University should cut from its budget as of Nov. 2.

The Senior Staff Budget Advisory Group launched its Web site Oct. 16 to allow students, faculty and staff to give their opinions on what should be cut from the 2010-11 budget.

“We have nine areas that we will be responding to, but I’m sure there will be some suggestions outside of those areas,” Burdette said. “We will look at the ideas and see if it’s already been covered, or if it is brand new.”

Once the suggestions are sorted, they will be given to the co-chairs of SSBAG — David Burdette, vice president of Finance and Administrative Services, and Gary Shapiro, interim provost, to be looked over and decided which ones might work.

Share your thoughts • Have suggestions for CMU’s 2010-11 budget? Click here to connect.

The suggestions can be anything a student, staff or faculty member believe to be valid. The Web site has no planned end date.

In mid-November, the group will submit the final suggestions to interim University President Kathy Wilbur.

All of the suggestions will be looked at and considered, Shapiro said.

“We will look at the suggestions and if needed get outside help to find out if they will have negative effects on the university,” Shapiro said. “We have to find out which ones are plausible.”

Budget cuts are not something the university would like to make regularly, Shapiro said. But listening to input from the university community is something that is encouraged.

“We are always looking to be more efficient,” Burdette said.