Judges should support legislature that helps out foster care kids

It’s unfortunate several mid-Michigan judges, including one in Isabella County, failed to recognize the benefits of the proposed state Department of Human Services budget.

Sen. Bill Hardiman, R-Kentwood, and Rep. Dudley Spade, D-Tipton, designed the budget to put Michigan’s 19,000 kids in foster care first.

When judges choose foster programs, they shouldn’t simply be looking for the program that costs their county budgets the least. Judges need to place children in the best program for their needs. Cost is a factor, but the system makes that the key factor in too many cases. That’s because the state picks up the entire tab for its programs, but makes counties pay half the cost of nonprofits — regardless of overall cost and quality.

Hardiman and Spade proposed eliminating that conflict. They wanted counties to share in 25 percent of the cost of foster placements, regardless of whether children go to state or nonprofit programs. That would require officials make decisions based only the best interest of the child.

That proposal met the stringent requirements of a federal class action lawsuit settlement that requires reforms to Michigan’s foster care, adoption and child protective services programs. The federal court monitor recently reported we’re making progress.

We need a fair, equity system that puts kids first. That’s what this proposed budget did.

Michael Williams President, Association of Accredited Child and Family Agencies CEO, Orchards Children’s Services, Southfield