'On The Rox' performance a hit

For Muskegen junior Kellene Hilliard her first stage performance with "On the Rox" will be a musical experience she will never forget.

“I think the performance went so well, we had so much energy,” Hilliard, a first soprano with the group, said. “It was a really good turnout.”

The all female 11 member a cappella group performed a wide variety of songs and choreographed dances to a crowd Friday night in Warriner Hall’s Plachta Auditorium.

The performance included a love medley featuring songs like Pat Benatar’s “Love is a Battlefield” and the Beatles “All You Need is Love” as well as a top 40 mix and Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean.”

“It is so much fun. All the girls are great and we are a very close nit group,” Hilliard said. “We are an amazing group of fun girls and more people should come out and see our shows because they are awesome.”

Hilliard is in her first semester with the group after transferring to CMU last year.

“I’ve always been a singer and I came to CMU hoping to get a chance to perform and make friends doing it and On the Rox was the perfect opportunity,” she said. “I heard about auditions and I auditioned this fall after I saw signs in the music building and on Facebook.”

Troy sophomore Nicole Sieja said she enjoyed her first time seeing "On the Rox" perform.

“I really liked the end of the show when they did all the songs popular on the radio,” she said. “That was really cool.”

She said her favorite part of the performance was by the Michigan State University "Accafellas," a nine member all male a cappella group.

As the opening act they performed songs like “Yellow” by Coldplay and “Walking in Memphis” by Marc Cohn.

“I can’t pick a favorite song, they were all really good,” Sieja said. “I really enjoy listening to stuff like this. It was a really good performance and people should come out to the next one.”