Sports Update: Field hockey wins 4-1 against Missouri State

The field hockey team has its first winning streak of the season by defeating Missouri State 4-1 on Saturday.

“I think it was just a great team effort,” said head coach Cristy Freese. “Missouri State was able to get the ball up to their two really good scorers and we were able to really shut them down. I am really proud of our team and I would take four goals any day.”

The Chippewas were first to score with senior Kelly Jordan getting her eighth goal of the year. The team lead 2-0 at the half.

CMU scored fast in the second half when Jordan scored her second goal of the afternoon just 5:22 into the half on a penalty corner. Jordan completed the hat trick about four minutes later putting the Chippewas up 4-0.

“I thought Kelly Jordan was dynamic today with her three goals,” Freese said. “We moved her to the left outside position and that really opened things up for her and we will see if that happens again tomorrow.”

The teams play at noon Sunday at the CMU Field Hockey Complex.

“I think we are the team that has to be more careful tomorrow in the sense that we can’t take today’s win for granted,” Freese said. “I told the team afterwards that Missouri State wasn’t able to capitalize on our mistakes and if we were playing a little bit better of a team those mistakes would have cost us.”

With the win, the Chippewas (6-12, 3-6 Mid-American Conference) secured at least the fifth seed in next week’s MAC Tournament in Muncie, Ind.

“We haven’t had a winning streak at any point this season,” Jordan said. “Hopefully winning three games going into the tournament will be huge because we will get confidence and know that we could win the tournament.”