'Thrill CMU' aims to set world record for largest collegiate rendition of "Thriller"

The attempt at the world record for the largest collegiate rendition of “Thriller” will take place in two weeks.

“Thrill CMU” is aiming to set the record to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” dance Nov. 13 on the Indoor Athletic Complex track bay. The event is sponsored by Central Michigan Life, Modern Rock 91.5 and Moore Hall Television.

If you go What: Thriller practice •When: 8 p.m. today, Nov. 9 •Where: IAC track bay •Practice: cm-life.com/thrillcmu

“We wanted to put this event on because we thought it would be a great way to bring students together and bring unity to Central,” said Carly Mills, Orleans senior and Central Michigan Life advertising representative. “It’s also in honor of music legend Michael Jackson. It’s a great way to honor what he’s done.”

Students can register for the event at the practices at 8 p.m. today, Nov. 9 at Finch Fieldhouse or at the door for the actual event Nov. 13. Mills said she is hoping for at least 500 students to participate.

Mills thinks the event will be very distinct.

“There is not (a record) for the largest college Thriller dance, and that’s why we thought we’d have a good shot, just because we would probably be one of the first,” she said. “We went with the college record so that it would be more unique and stand out a little more.”

Mills said students from all over the state can participate as long as they have college identification.

“It’s not just for Central students,” she said. “I encourage all students to attend because it would be a lot of fun and a great way to honor one of our top icons.”

Assistant Director of Student Publications Kathy Simon said there are many ways for students to get involved.

“They don’t have to go to the practice sessions,” Simon said. “They can get involved by going to our Web site and finding the instructions for the dance. They can create their own practice sessions within their groups or organizations or residence halls to practice for the dance. Or they can just show up the night of the event and dance.”

The event will feature prizes for the best Michael Jackson impersonator, largest registered student organization participation, largest sorority/fraternity participation and largest residence hall participation.