Volleyball swept by Marquette

The CMU volleyball team lost its final match of the season in a 3-0 sweep against Marquette.

Coach Erik Olson scheduled the post-Mid-American Conference match to prepare the program for an NCAA Tournament bid.

“This is the first time we have played a match after the MAC Tournament,” Olson said. “It was a big step for the program because it simulates playing in the NCAA Tournament, which is the goal for our program.”

The defense struggled to control Marquette, which had three players hit higher than .500. Sophomore outside hitter Ciara Jones led Marquette with 11 kills. Jones also carried the team through a third set, scoring three of the team’s final five points when the score was tied at 20.

“It was a little disappointing to end the season the way that we did,” said senior middle blocker Kaitlyn Hurt. “Especially as a senior, I would have liked to go out on a win.”

Playing in her final game, senior libero Alexis Lonneman served four consecutive points to bring CMU within three points in the first set. But the Golden Eagles rallied and won the set, 25-19.

Final set

Despite losing the first two sets, Central continued to press Marquette throughout the third set. The team brought the score to a tie 11 times and had a late 19-17 lead before losing the set, 25-23.

“It was a little harder to get excited for a match because we were unsure if it was taking us to the NCAA Tournament or not,” Hurt said. “We were just coming off a MAC Tournament that is very draining and it was just tough to get ready.”

Sophomore outside hitter Lauren Krupsky led the floor with 12 kills and hit for a pair of aces.

Sophomore setter Catherine Ludwig came in during the match to set a new tempo for the offense and earned 27 assists and two aces for the Chippewas.

“We didn’t play our best ball,” Krupsky said. “But it was important for us to grow and get that experience so we can earn a bid to the NCAA Tournament in the future.”

It is unlikely CMU or Marquette will receive an at-large bid into the NCAA Tournament.

“It was the last match for a lot of kids,” Olson said. “But we got a good taste of what the future is for this program.”

The team graduates setter Stephanie Budde and libero Alexis Lonnemann this year.