Water polo team has first game canceled, holds scrimmage instead

The water polo club’s first game at Central Michigan University required more than just fast swimming and teamwork. It required improvising.

Team president Tracy Graal was informed by an e-mail Friday night that the Northern Illinois University water polo team would not be able to attend their scheduled game Saturday afternoon at the Rose Arena Pool.

Instead of canceling the game, Graal decided to divide her team of 21 by skill and play a scrimmage for the spectators.

“I think it went really well considering that Northern Illinois University did not show up,” the Illinois junior said. “We really had to improvise but I think our team showed what we have and what we are capable of.”

Graal and Zeeland junior Sara Dixon formed the team in November of last year after joking around about the idea and have been going strong ever since.

“Last year, we did two games against Western Michigan University’s team and then we also went to Monmouth University for a tournament down there,” she said. “We held our own. It was a first time team and we had a lot of new people.”

Water polo is played with a seven-person team that consists of six players in the field and one goaltender. The game is divided into four quarters of 8 minutes and is played like handball while swimming and treading water.

Graal said she likes everything about the sport of water polo.

“I just love the fact that it’s a contact sport in the pool,” she said. “I have been a swimmer since I was 5 years old so it really appeals to me. I’ve been playing now for about five or six years.”

For Dixon it is the team aspect that has attracted her to the sport for eight years.

“I love swimming and swimming is a big aspect of water polo but I like the whole team environment of the game,” she said. “You have to rely on your team in water polo where as with swimming you just rely on yourself.”

The team will travel to Bowling Green in Ohio this weekend for their last tournament of the semester.

“We’re going to have a mini-season next semester so we would love for people to come out for that,” she said. “They can just contact any of the team members for more information.”