Finishing what they started

DETROIT – Before the stands were filled with fans and before the players even had their pads and uniforms on, Butch Jones sat on the bench with his legs stretched out and his arms folded across his chest.

Players from Ohio and Central Michigan mingled on Ford Field, stretching their legs and warming up their arms, keeping the mood light and a bounce in their step.

All the while, Central Michigan’s coach sat stoic and in the moment.

All he wanted was a minute.

“Anytime you get into a championship game, it’s special,” Jones said. “I told our kids all year long to enjoy the journey. I just wanted to take it all in because there is so much effort that goes into getting here.”

“Here” was Ford Field and the Mid-American Conference Championship — the symbol for the Chippewas’ pursuit of perfection and road to redemption.

After the collapse late last season, Central Michigan missed out on its chance to play for a third consecutive conference championship.

Revitalized and on a mission this season, the Chippewas have been a perfect 8-0 before their season culminated in the 20-10 win against Ohio on Friday to capture their third conference title in four seasons.

“Going through what we went through last season,” said senior quarterback Dan LeFevour, “I think we all appreciate this one a little more.”

Not easy

The Chippewas returned to the bench after halftime with an air of confidence — having turned their back on any panic.

It was not the swiftest of wins. For what seemed like the longest time, it was a game of ‘what could have been.’

There could have been a touchdown on the Chippewas’ opening drive, but miscommunication between LeFevour and senior wide receiver Bryan Anderson led to an interception in the endzone.

Ohio wide receiver Terrance McCrae made a tough catch, but landed with the tip of a toe out of bounds and — after further review — negated a 20-plus yard reception.

On their next drive, the Bobcats lost a fumble on a backwards pass and gave the Chippewas the ball on the Ohio 36-yard line.

For the duration of the game, it appeared at times both teams, instead of playing one another, were fighting against themselves.

And that does not include the 15 penalties for 140 yards.

“Today was huge with not letting our heads hang,” said junior linebacker Matt Berning. “And even when we were facing adversity, I think our program is built on that — facing adversity and overcoming it — and clearing our heads and playing the next snap.”

Central was forced to work through that Friday night, but came out clean and on the winning side.

Redeemed

Jones said after the game that it has almost been a year to the day when the team first came together with Dec. 4 and Ford Field in mind.

“The Journey,” as he likes to put it.

With minutes remaining and the Chippewas up by 10, the CMU fight song played throughout the arena.

With seconds remaining, LeFevour took knee and threw the ball in the air in celebration and grabbed his nearest teammate as the others rushed the field.

A bad memory from last season was erased.

This team set out to be perfect. With that in mind, a conference title wasn’t the only thing that was won in Detroit late Friday night.