Art exhibit focuses on Underground Railroad

Nedra Frodge wants to shed light on issues surrounding slavery.

The Central Michigan University art professor emeritus will present, as part of Martin Luther King Jr. Week, a collection of photographs she began taking in 2005.

Frodge’s exhibit consists of 12 displays with photographs of “safe” houses — homes and buildings used to harbor slaves along the Underground Railroad — and the owners who risked their lives for freedom.

The exhibit will be on display from Monday through Jan. 29 in the Multicultural Education Center, Bovee University Center Room 125. Viewers may walk through from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Wednesday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays.

Frodge grew up in Maysville, a small river town in northern Kentucky. She recalls hearing stories of the Underground Railroad throughout her early childhood years.

About 10 years ago, while researching her Quaker ancestors, Frodge came across stories of her family and friends traveling into Kentucky to help free slaves.

“My interest in the Underground Railroad changed from the stories of people escaping to freedom, to those who helped them along their journey and their willingness to risk their own freedom to do so,” she said.

Ulana Klymyshyn, director of the Multicultural Education Center, immediately started planning the exhibit after hearing about the concept.

“I hope students won’t walk away sad about slavery, but learn more about the current situation and leave feeling like making a change,” she said.

Each display contains information depicting the current slave market in other areas of the world.

“I also introduce elements that discuss slavery in the world today,” Frodge said. “I use my work to call attention to the problem, and I hope students will find their own way of making a difference because of seeing and understanding the message of the work.”