Gymnastics hosts Utah State Friday at Rose

The first win is sometimes difficult to obtain in athletics. But to sustain success is another challenge.

After beating Illinois State 191.65-191.475 last weekend on the road, the CMU gymnastics team is looking to build upon its early momentum when it hosts Utah State at 7 p.m. Friday at Rose Arena.

Coach Jerry Reighard said he was pleased with last week’s effort, but has higher expectations as he bolsters a stronger lineup.

“This is going to be very important,” he said. “We have a much stronger lineup, and our goal is always to hit the 9.7 mark.”

Winning the all-around with a score of 38.575 and posting a meet-high 9.825 on the vault, senior Katie Simon said the team is ready for its next challenge.

“We know they will be tough competition, so we really have to be on top of our game,” she said.

Simon’s presence was felt against Illinois State as she scored a 9.7 or higher in three of the four events (9.825 vault; 9.7 balance beam; 9.75 floor). However, CMU did not score lower than 192.225 last year, when it beat Illinois State by less than a point on Jan. 9, 2009.

After last weekend’s narrow win against Illinois State, the focus during practice shifted back toward the crucial aspect of execution during events. “It’s all execution,” Reighard said. “Are we doing it the way the judges want to see it?”

Celebration

CMU will celebrate the 20th anniversary of their first Mid-American Conference Championship on Friday. Their first league championship came in the 1990 season. Reighard was only in his third season at the helm of the program.

Aggies

Utah State comes to Mount Pleasant having only competed in its intrasquad meet. However, the Aggies return nine athletes from last year’s roster, including several of their top vaulters from last year’s team. The only event CMU lost to the Aggies in last season’s meet was the vault, where CMU scored a 47.6.

The Aggies are led by seniors Heather Heinrich (AA) and junior Jackie Dillon (AA). They are slated to finish sixth in the Western Athletic Conference this season.MU beat Utah State 193.025-190.800 in Logan, Utah.