Greeks group up for Haiti relief fundraising

Central Michigan University students are working with local businesses to raise money for the American Red Cross’ Haiti relief efforts.

Phi Sigma Phi president Shawn Herdegen initially started the idea as a philanthropic opportunity for CMU’s Greek community before deciding to get CMU and Mount Pleasant residents involved.

“I thought about it, and I didn’t want it to be just a specific group of people,” the Grandville senior said. “It’s something that everyone should be involved with, and there are not a lot of other campuses that have really organized a massive effort to help Haiti.”

According to reports by the Associated Press, the Jan. 12 earthquake in Haiti killed more than 200,000 people.

The week-long fundraising effort begins Monday with a fundraiser from 6 to 10 p.m. at Coldstone Creamery, 2330 S. Mission St., and will end Saturday with an auction in Finch Fieldhouse with donors including Ace of Diamonds, Sam’s Club and Domino’s Pizza.

These businesses will donate proceeds from their sales on the following dates and times to Haiti relief efforts. Monday: Coldstone Creamery 6 to 10 p.m. Tuesday: La Senorita Mexican Restauarant, 1516 S. Mission St., 11 a.m. to midnight Wednesday: Wayside Central, 2000 S. Mission St., will donate all the proceeds from the cover charge for that evening. Friday: Tropical Smoothie Cafe, 2332 S. Mission St., from 4 to 10 p.m. Buffalo Wild Wings, 1904 S. Mission St., from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Week-long can drive: Empty cans can be placed in boxes found at sorority and fraternity houses, as well as Fazoli’s Restaurant, 2111 S. Mission St.

There is no set goal for funds, but Herdegen has high hopes.

“When we were planning everything, we didn’t have a clear idea of what our target goal was,” Herdegen said. “If I had to put a number on it, I’d say $15,000.”

Charlevoix senior and Sigma Kappa President Jenny Lopez hopes people will become more aware of the situation and continue to help after the event is over.

“We are looking to help promote awareness as well,” Lopez said. “There are countries out there that need help; once the hype subsides and something else comes in the news, we hope people won’t forget to help countries like Haiti.”

Dave Weston, the community coordinator of the Central Michigan chapter of the American Red Cross, said he is not surprised with the support and time the CMU community is giving to Haiti relief efforts.

“We live in a very supporting and giving community that always helps no matter if the disaster is local, national or international, and CMU has stepped up to the plate once again,” Weston said. “We can always use more and we will always need more, but people give what they can afford to give and with Haiti we will be helping for years.”

- The Associated Press contributed to this report.