Gymnastics traveling to NIU Sunday

The CMU gymnastics team has not been at the same level as Northern Illinois since Jan. 15.

The Huskies (6-3, 2-2 Mid-American Conference), just one meet behind CMU (8-2, 2-1 MAC) in the standings, peaked last week at 192.775 in a tri-meet at Kent State. Meanwhile, CMU has beaten that score in five consecutive weeks, scoring more than a point better in four of those five.

It looks to continue that trend when it travels to Northern Illinois  at 3 p.m. Sunday in DeKalb, Ill.

The increases are part of what CMU coach Jerry Reighard calls a progressive program — constantly getting better within the year and from season to season.

“That’s the reputation we have here,” he said. “In the collegiate world, you’re either a maintenance program or progressive program.”

The team improved from a 191.65 in the first meet of the season and a 192.275 in the second.

The matchup

The Chippewas have compiled a 31-8 all-time record against NIU. Their two MAC victories came against Western Michigan and Ball State. Previously this season, CMU beat WMU twice. The team competes against Ball State on March 13.

The Huskies rely on junior Holly Reichard, who posted three scores of 9.7 or higher in the team’s last meet against Kent State and Rutgers. She sits in sixth place in the all-around category in the league with a high score of 39.0 against Ball State. She ranks fourth in the MAC on the balance beam after a 9.825 effort against BSU.

CMU has been inconsistent on the balance beam. It averages 47.793 and scored as low as 47.250 (Kent State), but peaked at 48.775 (State of Michigan Classic).

Following a three-fall rotation against Kent State, the lineup rebounded last weekend at home and posted a 48.525 on the event. Senior Katie Simon and freshman Britney Taylor led the team with matching scores of 9.8. Taylor said her focus against NIU will be on the small details and having a well-rounded routine.

“I want to be more consistent on everything and not take anything for granted,” she said.

The team swept all four events last weekend, including season-highs on the floor exercise (48.975) and on the vault (48.925). Sophomore Kristin Teubner finished in second place on the vault with a 9.85. Her 9.875 on the floor exercise helped propel the Chippewas to victory in the rotation. She said the floor is one event she feels can be a continued success for the team.

But the main goal for the upcoming weekend is hitting the score of 196.

“We’re going to keep focusing on getting a tenth better, and getting to that 196 score,” Teubner said.

Senior success

Simon was recently named to the American Athletic Award Ballot, which honors the best senior gymnast in the nation. As one of 18 national nominees, she is the only CMU gymnast to have been named to the ballot. The voting will commence in March behind a panel of six NCAA judges.

Simon holds the MAC lead on the vault (9.875), while placing second on the uneven bars (9.9) an fourth in the all-around (39.175).

Postseason

The top 35 programs in the national earn a bid for their regional tournaments.

Central sits in the 27th slot, behind a regional qualifying score of 193.605, ranking first in the MAC.

Freshmen

The team now has three freshmen in every lineup except the balance beam, which has two. Taylor competes as an all-arounder, while Emily LaFontaine and Kari Dieffenderfer are in two lineups. Bailey Brumbach is a specialist on the floor exercise and Darrian Tissenbaum is a specialist on the vault.

Brumbach, who has been in and out of the floor exercise lineup, scored a 9.7 last week against WMU.