Men's basketball team uses defensive effort to beat Toledo

The second half haunted the CMU men’s basketball team in its previous three games coming into Sunday.

But in Rose Arena that day, it was the first half that lacked offensive play — the team shot just 35 percent.

Despite that, the team won 63-46 thanks to strong defensive play.

During the team’s three-game losing streak, snapped by the team’s win against the Rockets, CMU led by three against Kent State, was tied with Akron and led by three at Ohio going into the second half. But it let the game slip away in each.

In the two home losses against Kent State and Akron, the Chippewas held late leads, but allowed the two Mid-American Conference powers to come back.

In Sunday’s win, their strong defensive effort held the Rockets to 35.7 percent shooting, and their improved offensive game in the second half made up for a lackluster opening. But the inconsistencies can’t happen Wednesday, when the team travels to Ball State.

“I think our mental focus has to continue to improve,” said coach Ernie Zeigler. “As a coach and even as players, you want to try to strive to play your very best, and play as close as you can to perfection. And, quite honestly, we haven’t put together that perfect game offensively and defensively yet.”

Showdown in Muncie

The team plays Ball State at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Muncie, Ind., in a showdown for the MAC West. CMU (12-12, 7-5 MAC) and Ball State (13-11, 7-5 MAC) are tied for the lead in the MAC West and are tied for the last remaining bye for the MAC Tournament. Buffalo also is tied for the final bye spot.

The Chippewas defeated the Cardinals earlier this year, 53-38 in Rose Arena, holding BSU to 24.4 percent shooting and 38 points, the lowest point total CMU has allowed since joining the MAC.

But don’t expect the game to go that way again in Muncie. The Cardinals are 5-2 in their last seven games and gained two games on the Chippewas since the beginning of crossover play against the MAC East.

Ball State even avenged an early-season loss against Northern Illinois Saturday, defeating the Huskies 71-66 in DeKalb, Ill.

“The thing we have to understand is that they’re a different team than the team we played a month or so ago,” Zeigler said.

Coming into a crucial game against the hot team, the Chippewas have no room for error and need to play their most complete game of the season.

The deciding factor in whether the team returns to Mount Pleasant with the MAC West lead is if it can play its in-your-face defensive game.

In its victory against Ball State earlier in the season, CMU was able to accomplish that, and it will have to do so again.