Pair will interview for CCFA associate dean

The College of Communications and Fine Arts is preparing open forums next week for the position of associate dean.

Randi L’Hommedieu and Shelly Hinck will interview. The associate dean’s normal duties include leading program and curriculum development, assisting with student recruitment and helping faculty by promoting grant writing and new teaching methods.

Hinck, a professor of communication and dramatic arts, hosts a forum at 2:30 p.m. Monday in Moore Hall 211. L’Hommedieu, chairman of the School of Music, will host one at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday in Moore Hall 211.

L’Hommedieu said he sees the position as an opportunity to be involved in important decisions the college will be making in the future.

“I think there are challenges that we’re going to face in this budget climate and the decisions will rest in the dean’s office, and I’d like to have an opportunity to participate in those decisions and help steer the colleges and departments,” he said.

L’Hommiedieu has been director of the School of Music for eleven years. He said his experience with accrediting organizations such as the National Association of Schools of Music has given him a background in curriculum and institutional standards and guidelines.

In addition to assisting the dean, L’Hommedieu said he wants to work with diversity initiatives and encourage student involvement in study abroad programs, creative projects and research activities.

Hinck, who was unavailable for comment, has been a faculty member since 1988.

Jane Matty, chair of the associate dean search committee and associate dean of the College of Science and Technology, said Hinck has promoted service learning at the university.

“She’s been involved in the Honor’s Program and she’s been involved in a variety of extra-curricular and student learning initiatives,” Matty said.

Matty said both candidates will go through a day-long interview process next week in which they will meet with department chairs, the search committee, the dean and the provost.

Candidates also will have a chance to interact with the campus community in their own open forums, she said.

“The purpose of the open forum is to allow other people who are interested in the candidates to meet them and listen to their answers to questions, and give them an opportunity to provide input on the candidates relative to the conditions,” Matty said.