Sharing a passion: coach Jerry Reighard and wife Nancy lead CMU gymnastics

gymnasticscoaches-jwm-03
Jake May/Staff Photographer Gymnastics Coach Jerry Reighard and his wife Nancy, assistant gymnastics coach, laugh while fighting over a piece of foam in the foam pit at the gymnastics practice room Thursday in Rose Arena. The two met in 1972: Nancy on the women's gymnastics team at CMU; Jerry on the men's team. Every day after practice, Jerry walked Nancy home to her dorm room in Sweeney Hall. The two have been married for 36 years. "I was in love with her. That's why I did it," Jerry said. "And I still love her just as much today. I just know her a bit better now, that's all."

Two vastly different coaches stand at attention across the gym from one another.

One gazes in excitement as one of her gymnasts completes a tumble on the floor exercise. The other shows less enthusiasm.

In their 36th year of marriage, Jerry and Nancy Reighard have coexisted successfully as a couple, as well as the leaders to CMU’s gymnastics team.

Jerry, the team’s head coach began his collegiate gymnastics career at Schoolcraft Community College, where he competed for two years and captained an undefeated squad. Upon accepting a scholarship to compete for CMU, he was named captain for the small, but talented team.

Nancy began her gymnastics career while attending Fruitport high school, and soon attended Central and participated on the women’s gymnastics team.

“I actually noticed her — I don’t think she noticed me,” Jerry said. “But as time went on, we dated, and that was the beginning.”

A partnership that stretches back to the late ‘70s, the two found a common bond among the leather beams,and chalk-coated practices.

Jerry competed in six events and earned a conference championship on the uneven bars. Nancy earned All-American status to end her collegiate career and was part of the only CMU team to qualify for the NCAA Championships.

Upon completing his eligibility in 1974, Jerry became a graduate assistant for the Chippewas, which began his passion for coaching. In 1975, the two were married.

And after receiving his degree in industrial engineering, he decided a career change was due. Jerry decided to go into teaching — something he did on occasion during college.

“It seemed to be a better fit for my personality, and I found it really rewarding,” he said. “It really opened the path for me to teach and coach.”

After receiving his masters in 1980, Jerry and Nancy went on to teach boys and girls gymnastics at Ionia High School, where they won state championships in boy’s gymnastics in the 1983 and 1984 seasons.

Taking the reins

Jerry took over the CMU gymnastics program in the fall of 1984. The team did not earn much success through the 1980s, and he said he knew the work ahead of him.

“It was definitely an uphill battle,” he said. “We had to climb from the cellar of the conference.”

The decision to bring his wife on board at CMU was an easy one. With her previous success in the sport, and having coached with her at Ionia, the passion of coaching was one that was prevalent early in their marriage.

“It was a very natural transition,” Jerry said. “She is very knowledgeable and very different in personality.”

During her first year as an assistant, Nancy helped coach two Mid-American Conference champions on the floor and balance beam exercises. She remained on staff until 1989, when she left to raise their four children. Nancy rejoined the staff in 2005.

Coaching styles

Today, Nancy works primarily with the floor exercise and balance beam events. She brings her background in dance and gymnastics to staff. She said she enjoys coaching the floor exercise because it allows the gymnasts to use their creativity and style.

“The floor is a more creative outlook — they can show more personality, more unique style and movements,” Nancy said.

Although the routines are choreographed by the gymnasts, her focus as a coach is on the technical aspect of it.

“I do more critiquing. I know what I want it too look like, and their technique,” she said.

The coaching styles of the two compliment each other and their impact can be seen in their interaction with the gymnasts, said junior Cheryl Conlin.

“They have very different personalities, coaching-wise,” she said. “Jerry is more intense, while Nancy is more relaxed and calm.”

Freshman Britney Taylor, although new to the program, said she knows the different styles have helped her adapt to college gymnastics.

“(Jerry) judges us harder than the judges, and it helps me in the long run from here (practice) to the arena,” she said.

Family life

With four children — Brett, Kara, Jill and Mark — the Reighards have balanced a busy coaching lifestyle with family.

While gymnastics has been part of the children’s lives, each one competed in their own sports. The oldest, Brett, took to the coaching aspect, while Mark played soccer, where he excelled in the now-popular ‘flip-throw,’ Jerry said.

Kara Reighard competed for her father at CMU as a standout gymnast during the 2002-05 seasons, winning all-around MAC Championsips in 2002, 2003 and 2004. She was a NCAA qualifier in 2003.

Nancy, out of coaching from 1989-2005, chose to come back to the team following Kara’s graduation from CMU. She said she did not want to put too much pressure on her, choosing to act as a mom instead of a coach.

The youngest daughter, Jill, was an All-American diver at the University of Toledo. The early establishment of gymnastics skills is one that both parents agreed helped form many of the critical skills important in all sports.

“It was a nice springboard for them developing coordination and body awareness,” Nancy said.

Success

In the 26 seasons Jerry has been at the helm of the program, he has 366 wins and 193 losses. His MAC record stands as the best in conference history at 167-48.

He has led the team to 10 MAC championships and has earned seven MAC Coach of the Year honors.

“You’ve got to make sacrifices that other people aren’t,” he said.