Open forums for business dean candidates begin this week

Four candidates for dean of Central Michigan University’s College of Business Administration will hold forums over the next few weeks.

“(The finalists) have fine credentials and are good prospects for becoming an excellent dean,” said Tom Moore, dean of libraries and chairman for the CBA dean search committee.

The four candidates, Charles Crespy from the University of New Mexico, Gary Koppenhaver from Illinois State University, Edward Bashaw from Texas A & M University-Texarkana, and Shawnee Vickery from Michigan State University, each will speak before the campus community on separate occasions.

Crespy, a professor at the UNM and formerly the dean of the Anderson School of Management, will host a forum from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. today in Grawn Hall’s Pierpont Auditorium. Koppenhaver, chairman of the finance, insurance and law department at ISU, will host a forum from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, and Bashaw, dean of the College of Business at UTAMUT, will have a forum from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Thursday, both in Pierpont.

If you go... What: Forum for CBA Dean Candidate Charles Crespy When: 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. today Where: Grawn Hall’s Pierpont Auditorium
Vickery, co-director of the Institute for Entrepreneurship at MSU, will have a forum April 7 with a time and location to be announced.

“I encourage students and faculty to attend,” Moore said.

The dean position is currently filled by interim Daniel Vetter, who was the CBA associate dean before accepting the interim position. He assumed the position after former CBA dean Mike Fields accepted a job as dean of the H. Wayne Huizenga School of Business and Entrepreurship at Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. last August.

Moore said he is not sure what issues will come up at the forum, but he encourages questions from those who attend.

“There’s an opportunity to evaluate the candidates, too, to get the ideas of the university community and the pros and cons of the candidates,” Moore said.

Those who attend will be given forms in which to offer feedback.

“We want to get the position filled,” Moore said. “The person chosen, depending on the timing, would take office in June or July.”

Moore aims to hire in a manner that allows the future leader a chance to acclimate with the university, staff and programs before the fall semester begins.

“We want a dean who can really get started and get the college off to a terrific start this fall, and also really give some thoughts to what the college agenda needs to be for the academic year,” he said.