Police chief: Layered parking suggested to save budget, no serious discussions though

Many freshmen acknowledge the opportunity to park on campus at Central Michigan University as an advantage over other schools across the state.

But in a time of financial distress, is it time for officials to re-examine permit costs as a chance for added revenue?

“Layered parking” was one of about 150 recent suggestions to Central Michigan University officials to address the school’s budget woes. The Senior Staff Budget Advisory Group fielded a related question among suggestions sent to the group.

The suggestions read: “Create a layered parking price by year at CMU for students. May be a disincentive for freshman to bring their vehicles to campus and keep them on campus on weekends (one suggestion freshman pay $450, sophomores $350, juniors $250, and seniors $150).”

The university’s response was: “Under consideration.”

CMU Police Chief Bill Yeagley said he does not see changes coming to the parking system just because of the idea.

“There is no serious discussion about changing the parking system right now. At the moment, it is just a suggestion,” Yeagley said. “There needs to be a lot more details about a new system before talk of throwing out the current system.”

Student reaction

Chesterfield senior Matt Mihelich said adjusting parking permit fees to a tiered system may cut down on the number of freshmen with cars their first year.

“If freshmen have to pay that much, it might discourage them from bringing cars,” Mihelich said. “That might help reduce some of the traffic on campus too.”

Troy freshmen Jake Simmons said he would not necessarily be opposed to the idea. But he expressed concern because of the location of some parking.

“Freshmen being allowed to have cars on campus is a privilege,” Simmons said. “Will freshmen still have to park far away in the freshmen lot if they pay $450 for their pass?”

Belding junior Mike Griffioen said tiered parking fees are a good idea if the system generates money for the university.

“I’m all for it if they decide to do the layered parking,” Griffioen said. “If it will help bring in revenue then it’s something that should be looked into.”

Students, however, should not expect changes any time soon. Yeagley said there are no active intentions to change the parking system.

He said he is pleased with the way things are operating now. Michigan State University charges anywhere from $89 for commuters to $268 for other students, as long as they are above freshman standing. At Western Michigan University, it costs $300 for an academic school year to park on campus. At CMU, it costs between $150 and $175 to park for an academic year.

Yeagley has been an officer for 31 years and said he has seen the parking improve drastically over the years.

“CMU probably has one of the top parking systems I’ve seen,” he said. “I think it is a good system right now.”