"Blitz for Buzz" scavenger hunt On The Fly's service at CMU

scavengerhunt-pc-06-edit
Paige Calamari/Staff Photographer Lowell sophomore Gabrielle MacDonald attempts to receive service on her cell phone in order to text message a picture answer during the Blitz For Buzz Mobile Scavenger Hunt Thursday afternoon on the campus of CMU. Teams received a variety of questions through text messages about CMU's history and specific areas on CMU's campus. The scavenger hunt concludes campus events sponsored by On The Fly Productions.

Quick, how many rays are on the Central Michigan University seal?

This was one of the questions asked at Tuesday’s “Blitz for Buzz” Scavenger Hunt at the Bovee University Center.

Team Boron 97 learned that the seal has 58 rays. The team finished second place with 25 completed tasks.

“I wish I would have brought my bike,” said Cheboygan junior Jessica Spies, a member of the team. “It was a lot of fun.”

About 10 groups and a total of 40 people received questions and clues in the form of text messages from On The Fly. They had to find answers to as many questions as possible within an hour. The top three winning teams received free Celebration Cinema movie passes.

Boron’s three members raced to the corner of Bellows and Franklin streets, according to the directions of their first clue, which was to find the name of a Greek organization written on a lamp post.

Montague sophomore Dustin King quickly punched the answer into a text message back to OTF.

Lowell sophomore Gabrielle MacDonald acted as the team’s runner, dashing ahead to check out potential answers.

The finale

The scavenger hunt was the final event OTF organized at CMU.

“Even though they’re going away, it’s good (On The Fly isn’t) just dropping off,” MacDonald said.

It was Dani Hiar’s 10th year as faculty advisor for OTF.

“We’ve put on amazing events,” said Hiar, who is also coordinator of MEDIAgraphix. “I’m pretty confident that Program Board will continue to do what On The Fly can’t.”

Hiar said the scavenger hunt may be used for other campus events such as Leadership Safari.

“I was blessed to be a part of this organization and being able to interact with all the students at CMU,” Hiar said.

She said she was sad to see the program, which began hosting events in 1996, cut.

Some of its popular events have included a Dave Matthews Band concert and poet Maya Angelou.

“We had a great semester and this was a good turn out,” said Shelby Township sophomore Sara Frederick. “I learned a lot, especially with the programming aspects”.

Frederick, special events chairwoman at OTF, said the program allowed her to meet a lot of different people. This was her second year in the group.

On The Fly Productions was one of two programming groups at CMU along with Program Board.

Hiar made the decision to cut the program which used about $100,000 year.

The final event was a great success for King, who said he had a great time.

“I wish it would’ve lasted a little longer,” he said. “It was definitely worth the hour.”