Ernie Zeigler signs four-year contract extension

Ernie Zeigler had the task of making Central Michigan basketball relevant again when he was hired in 2006.

Four years later, Zeigler now is expected to win championships.

The CMU men’s basketball coach finalized a four-year contract Tuesday laden with numerous performance incentives. The deal was completed the day before Zeigler’s son, Trey, a renowned basketball prospect out of Mount Pleasant High School, will announce his Division I basketball intentions.

“I’m extremely excited about having the opportunity to continue to be the head basketball coach here,” Zeigler said. “I think it’s a statement to the direction that myself and my staff and the players in our program have this thing going in the right direction.”

Zeigler receives the same base salary — $175,446 — he was scheduled to earn during the final year of his original deal, which was extended by one year before the 2008-09 season. Last season, he earned a $159,135 base salary.

Under the new deal, Zeigler can earn at least $25,000 per year in guaranteed bonuses for radio, television and development and more than $200,000 in possible performance bonuses per year.

“We’re not able to to pay significant increases in base salary,” said Athletics Director Dave Heeke. “But when there’s successful performance that has revenue streams behind it, we can compensate the head coach and cover those costs.”

Zeigler’s guaranteed bonuses saw a significant increase from the $10,000 per year he received under his last deal. Now at $25,000 total, it also increases about $5,200 per year, Heeke said.

“We anticipate success in the program,” Heeke said. “As we have success, we believe there will be results. We can generate revenue off radio and television and have expectations of Ernie for a variety of fundraising programs. We have an expectation that he will be involved in those and we’re very confident our revenue will grow.”

PERFORMANCE INCENTIVES

The performance bonuses include extra compensation for achievements such as academic performance, attendance and championships that range from $1,000 to $75,000 depending on the accomplishment.

“We forecast very carefully — these aren’t just numbers pulled out of a hat,” Heeke said. “I need to be as cost-conscious as possible, but still keep our coaches’ contracts competitive from a market standpoint, so they’ll want to be at Central Michigan. I think this is a fair way to do it.”

Zeigler has an overall record of 54-69 and a 31-33 mark in the MAC, including a 15-15, 9-7 record last season. He is the first coach to lead the Chippewas to 10-plus wins in four consecutive seasons since Charlie Coles from 1987-88 to 1990-91.

“I’m very excited about having the commitment that’s being shown,”Zeigler said. “When I started here four years ago, I signed a four-year deal. I’m excited about having four more years to continue to strive to put this program at the top of our conference.

“I think we’ve sustained the level of competitiveness but, now, we want to reach for more.”

A NEW REVENUE STREAM

Zeigler’s deal also allows the coach to schedule a third ‘guaranteed revenue’ road game against a non-conference opponent. In the past, only two games were scheduled and the money funneled into the athletic department’s overall operating budget.

The revenue from the third game would funnel money directly into the men’s basketball budget. Heeke said the game would need to net at least $60,000 for it to qualify.

“That will hopefully enhance our ability to sustain what we’ve built up to this point and even enhance that from a recruiting standpoint or doing things aesthetically around the program,” Zeigler said.