Smith Hall, others getting a new roof through sustainability effort

Smith Hall’s roof received a facelift last month as part of a project that aims to reroof several buildings around campus.

Last year, Facilities Management was granted $830,000 to re-roof a portion of the 2,568,000 square feet of roofing on campus.

Steve Lawrence, associate vice president of Facilities Management, said the buildings designated for roof work are the Student Activity Center, Brooks Hall, Rose Arena, Kelly/Shorts Stadium’s locker room, Bohannon School, Ronan Hall, Merrill Hall and dining facility, and Smith Hall.

“The project was started around last May. All the buildings were finished except for Merrill, Smith and Ronan, which are being finished now,” Lawrence said. “There are just small portions of work left to do on those buildings.”

Lawrence said a different kind of roofing material is being used than the standard. Some of the buildings are receiving an Energy Star white aggregate marble and white flood coat roof. Previously, the roofs had a standard washed gravel and flood coat.

“The white roofs are intended to reduce the amount of heat gained from the sun,” Lawrence said. “It’s supposed to lessen the AC load and reduce our costs. Again, it’s a sustainability thing.”

The difference in materials used comes at a cost. The Energy Star brand costs $1.60 a square foot. The previous material cost 98 cents per square foot. Lawrence said the university switched to installing white roofs in 2008, where possible.

Milford sophomore Mat Zaremba supports the university’s decision.

“If using the white materials is going to reduce the cost in the long run, then it’s a good way to go,” Zaremba said.

Lawrence said Facilities Management plans to ask the Board of Trustees for $740,000 this month to continue re-doing certain roofs. Sweeney Hall, Finch Fieldhouse, the Rose Arena pool area, Wightman Hall and Kelly/Shorts Stadium’s concessions are all part of the next proposed series of roof renovations.