WITH VIDEO: Thrift sale benefits Threads fashion show

The skirt Jolie Masters purchased did not fit — but the Kentwood sophomore did not show any signs of worry.

“I’m just going to sew it or safety-pin it,” she said.

Masters said she enjoyed the many purchases she made this week at a thrift sale fundraiser for the Threads Fashion Show, which will take place April 10 in Finch Fieldhouse. The exhibition is at 6 p.m. and the show begins at 7 p.m.

“The exhibition is all exhibits and works from classes of people who wanted to display what they’ve done,” said Kandis Contos, a Davison senior.

The Threads Fashion Show this year is themed “Autobiography” and is about designers expressing themselves and telling their stories.

First-time designer Kaitlyn Munro, a Maryland junior, said she is excited for the show.

“I’m very nervous because this is my first show — it’s my first real time showing my designing abilities and what it can do,” Munro said.

She said she felt it was important to volunteer at the sale, put on by students in AMD 357: Fashion Production and Promotion.

“As a designer, I feel it’s good to help out with the fundraiser and see what it takes to get to the end result,” she said.

The thrift sale profits will go to the show to help offset costs.

“Last year, I think they made $600; we’ve already hit our goal as far as fundraising. Now we’re just looking to sell what we have and get as much as possible,” Contos said.

For more information on the Threads Fashion Show, visit ehs.cmich.edu/amd/Threads2010_Site/Homepage.html.