Baseball scores four runs in final two innings to win 8-7, even series against Huskies

A ninth-inning run helped the Central Michigan baseball team even its series against Northern Illinois with an 8-7 win Saturday in DeKalb, Ill.

With the score tied 7-7 heading into the ninth inning, senior James Teas singled up the middle to score Matt Faiman as the go-ahead run.

Northern Illinois (17-25, 7-10 Mid-American Conference) jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first inning before CMU responded with three of its own in the second.

After both teams traded runs in their respective halves of the fourth and fifth innings, NIU scored three runs of its own in the bottom of the fifth to take a 6-4 lead.

CMU (24-17, 12-5 MAC) responded once again in the eighth, as a pinch-hit double from freshman Jordan Dean and single by junior shortstop Robbie Harman gave the Chippewas a 7-6 lead.

Sophomore left-handed reliever Trent Howard (3-2) earned the win, giving up one run on one hit in two innings pitched. Freshman left-hander Dietrich Enns started the game and gave up five runs (four earned) on four hits in 4 1/3 innings.

CMU looks to win the series when both teams play the last game of the series at 2 p.m. today.