Softball lets early lead slip away and loses in extra innings, bows out of MAC tournament

The Central Michigan softball team was eliminated from the Mid-American Conference tournament Friday after surrendering a three-run lead and losing 5-4 in nine innings against Miami University.

The loss was the team's second in as many days at Firestone Stadium in Akron, Ohio, after winning its opening round game on Wednesday.

The Chippewas came out swinging in the first inning as lead off hitter junior Christina Novak (3-for-5) homered to left field to start the game. Later in the inning, an RBI single by junior Amanda Patrick (3-for-4, run scored) put CMU up 2-0.

Miami (OH) countered with a run of its own in the first to shrink CMU's lead back to a run.

A fielding error in the second inning allowed the Chippewas to regain its two-run lead. They extended their in the third following a single by junior Jill Schulz to take a 4-1 lead.

The No. 3 seeded RedHawks were poised not to let their season end as they scored two runs in the bottom half of the third and another in the fifth to tie the game at 4.

Miami loaded the bases in the seventh inning, but junior starting pitcher Kari Seddon got MU's Taylor Rice to fly out to fly out to center field to end the threat.

CMU, however, could only muster one hit in extra innings as the RedHawks threatened again in the bottom of the ninth. With runners on first and third with two outs, with a second chance to win the game, Rice came through with a single to right field.

Seddon took the loss after giving up four earned runs on eight hits while striking out 14.

Jessica Simpson (19-15) earned the win and second baseman Meghan Mawn went 2-for-4 with two RBIs for Miami (33-23). The RedHawks advance in the consolation bracket to play Northern Illinois at 7:30 p.m. tonight.