26th annual Mount Pleasant Summerfest brings carnival fun to Island Park

Good weather brought many out for a good time over the weekend.

The 26th annual Mount Pleasant Summerfest had plenty of activities. With a children's village, used book sale, softball tournament, fireworks, a duck race, parades, a petting zoo and flea market a diverse crowd could enjoy the weekend.

“I liked all the promotion tents and vendors they had,” Mount Pleasant resident Alyssa Atkinson said. “It was a nice break between the rides and the food.”

A children’s parade on Wednesday led kids through town and to a free pizza and ice cream party afterwards. The kids were welcome to take in crafts, clowns and face painting for free.

For the older crowd, a blues band performed in the food and beverage pavilion.

“The beer tent was a big hit,” said Nick Konieczka, who worked on the sound and lighting set up for the band. “It was all locals and local bands hanging out in there, so there was a sense of community.”

The festival went on for five days from Wednesday to Sunday, only suffering from 2 inches of rainfall within 2 to 3 hours on Sunday which shut down several of the carnival rides.

The Rods in the Park auto show, which was set to be held that morning, was rescheduled for August 18.

Visitors on Friday and Saturday night were able to take in a fireworks show in the skies north of Island Park.

“Everyone was smiling and having a great time the whole week,” said Keith Voeks, Summerfest director of logistics. “I didn’t hear any complaints.”