COLUMN: MLB umpire's blunder makes case for instant replay

One week ago, the sports world was up in arms – once again – at Major League Baseball.

The Detroit Tigers beat the Cleveland Indians 3-0 in Detroit last Wednesday, but you didn’t hear anything about the win.

Heading into the ninth inning, Tigers’ starter Armando Galarraga was three outs away from pitching the first-ever perfect game in club history.

Admittedly nervous, Galaragga didn’t have an easy road. Veteran hitter Mark Grudzielanek led off the ninth for Cleveland, almost taking away his perfect game right then and there with a deep fly ball to left-center field.

But Tigers’ center fielder Austin Jackson came up with an incredible over the back catch, reminiscent of DeWayne Wise’s perfect game saving catch for the White Sox’s Mark Buehrle in 2009.

Or so everyone thought.

After getting the second out of the inning, Jason Donald hit a ground ball in between first and second base. Everyone in attendance rose in anticipation of witnessing history.

First baseman Miguel Cabrera fielded the ball and tossed it to Galarraga, who was covering first, in what appeared to be a clear out.

“Safe!” yelled umpire Jim Joyce to a shocked Galarraga and Tigers team.

A chorus of boos followed from the Comerica Park faithful as manager Jim Leyland pleaded his case with Joyce. Replays confirmed the out afterword.

The following 24 hours would be hell for Joyce and MLB. Immediately after the game, Joyce, who would soon become the whipping boy for fans and writers across the country, did something I have never seen an umpire or referee in any major sport do.

Quickly realizing he made a mistake, Joyce apologized to the 28-year-old Venezuelan pitcher. However, it was too late and had very little effect on the outcome in the minds of fans and players.

Despite the circumstances, I was impressed with the way Joyce and, more importantly, Galarraga handled the situation.

Galarraga had a right to be upset, a spot in history was taken away from him. But his down-to-earth nature and forgiving attitude, coupled with Joyce’s professionalism in quickly owning up to his mistake, put the situation in the best light possible.

While many since have trashed Joyce – death threats were left on his kids’ Facebook accounts and several anti-Jim Joyce groups popped up on the social-networking site – it’s important to remember that he is human. Humans do make mistakes.

The call also provoked many to push for MLB Commissioner Bud Selig to make an executive decision and overturn the call. That didn’t happen.

And, of course, the argument for instant replay returned.

Most fans are for it and believe it brings a positive aspect to professional sports. I agree, but have always believed its use should be limited. Officials should not have to become dependent on it, as we’ve began to see in the NFL where in-game reviews have bordered on unnecessary at times.

But this was one of those times where instant replay would have been helpful. Selig should use this situation to bring replay into the game on a limited basis.

Not for calling balls and strikes, but to prevent another situation like this from happening again.