Delayed Ronan Hall project set for December completion

The finishing date for renovations to Ronan Hall has been reset for December, though substantial completion is expected by the end of October.

Estimates from Rockford Construction place the $3.6 million project at 60 percent completion, said Linda Slater, director of plant engineering and planning.

“Work continues on the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems,” Slater said. “The framing is complete and drywall is being hung.”

Furniture installation will follow shortly after completion.

Construction on the Ronan Hall project began in June. In January, Facilities Management officials pegged June as the date for substantial completion.

Substantial completion refers to when a building is complete enough to be occupied or used for its desired purpose.

About $5 million in renovations to the Bovee University Center, including the addition of a Starbucks shop, post office and game area cannot begin until the Ronan project is complete.

Slater said it is the first renovation project on campus to pursue Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification, which recognizes environmentally-friendly buildings.

“The project is implementing sustainable design and construction practices and expects to achieve LEED certified status,” Slater said.

Several departments in the UC will move to Ronan Hall once renovations are complete.

Michelle Howard, director of academic advising and assistance, said the location is better for students to access.

“The concept of a new location is an opportunity for us to settle in and modernize,” Howard said. “We will work hard to make sure Ronan Hall is a second home to students.”

Academic Advising and Aasistance has an office in Warriner Hall as well.

Students have more parking spaces and the area does not have the same high-traffic volumes as the University Center, Howard said.