Former band director passes away at 91, leaves lasting musical legacy

Norman Dietz is remembered as someone completely devoted to music at Central Michigan University.

Dietz, a retired band director and Central Michigan University graduate, died July 27 at the age of 91.

Dietz was the Director of Bands at Central Michigan University for 30 years.

“He lived and breathed it,” said Norman’s youngest son Richard Dietz, a Detroit resident. “He was totally devoted to music education.”

Norman Dietz was President of the student body, a member of band and performed with student jazz groups during his years at CMU.

Norman Dietz graduated from Central State Teaching College, later renamed Central Michigan University, in 1941. He then enlisted as a musician for the US Army during World War II where he arranged and performed music for radio broadcasts. Norman Dietz returned after the war to complete his Masters degree in brass technique and composition at Michigan State University.

“He was always looking for the opportunity to make students a better person and a better performer,” said 1970 CMU alumnus John Dietz.

John Dietz, the oldest of Norman’s three sons, said his father had a special way of engaging the students.

“He gave them a sense of responsibility to ‘make the music happen,’” John Dietz said.

Norman Dietz returned to Mount Pleasant to be the band director at Mount Pleasant High School and Central State Teaching College.  He took over as CMU’s band director in 1947 and later founded the symphonic wind ensemble in the 1960s. Both his marching band and symphonic wind ensemble received national recognition.

He retired in 1979 and moved to Sarasota, Fl. with his wife Margaret Bush Dietz.

“I received e-mails from people across the U.S.,” John Dietz said. “They said he made them feel important, challenged them and because of him they were a better person.”

One of Norman Dietz’s former students John W. Beery wrote a biography titled “On the Edge of Sound: The Life and Career of Norman Dietz” to recognize the professor’s achievements.

Norman Dietz continued to actively compose, conduct and perform music after retiring. Many of his works were published and went on to be performed nationwide.

A memorial service will be held October 23 at Delta Center Cemetery in Lansing, Mich. Memorial gifts may be made to the Norman C. Dietz Scholarship Fund at Central Michigan University.