CMU fans' excitement hampered by loss of LeFevour, others amid home opener

footballcrowd3-web
Leah Sefton/Staff Photographer A sea of fans in the student section cheer as the CMU football team takes the field for the first time this season during Thursday night's home opener against Hampton at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Enthusiastic students flooded the Kelly/Shorts Stadium Thursday night for the first game of the season, even as rainwater poured on the field.

A team with a different look than what they were used to marched onto the field, ready to take on their opponent, the Hampton Pirates.

But despite the loss of several key players, many of those students were still thrilled to be back the stadium for Chippewa football.

“Everyone says because (Dan) LeFevour is gone, we’re going to do bad, but I think we’re going to do great,” said Gladwin freshman Dillon Fassett.

Fassett covered himself with maroon and gold paint from head to toe in preparation for the season opener.

Even before the game began, students like Lael Johnson expected the best for the Central/Hampton game and the season as a whole.

“I think it’s going to be great, it’s going to be full of great plays and a lot of high numbers on the scoreboard,” the Warren sophomore said. “Last year they lost a lot of leaders, but the team is coming together again, and the leaders who have stepped up are doing a great job.”

Johnson said he doesn’t have any favorite players, just the whole team.

“The entire group is our family,” he said.

Novi junior Lauren Kotylo said she hopes for a good season because the Chippewas still have a strong team.

“We’re pumped, we had a good season and we want to keep it up,” she said.

She said she thinks the team could work on having more concentration, confidence and motivation even though they lost a few valuable players.

CMU alumnus Eric Tomkin of Zeeland said he looked forward to yesterday’s game because he enjoys volunteering back at the stadium and taking part in many of the fan activities.

“I’m looking forward to a little different season after having lost Dan LeFevour, but we’re still excited and hoping for a lot of wins,” he said.

He said he felt like CMU built a winning tradition last year and only have to carry it on this season.

Some students are excited for other games in the upcoming season.

Mike Longo, a Novi junior, said he is looking forward to the Ball State game because they bested CMU the last time they met on the field.

“We have a new head coach, new quarterback, new receiver — I think we’ll do good,” Johnson said.